By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in battle, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kin breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable principles are nonetheless well known and pervasive--in truth, they may impact your personal considering with out your understanding it. the following with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new booklet, 10 Books That Screwed Up the realm (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes each one of those evil books through its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you will learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince was once the muse for a protracted checklist of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on technique "proved" God's lifestyles basically through making Him a construction of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan ended in the idea that we've got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may win the award for the main malicious booklet ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past sturdy and Evil issued the decision for an international governed exclusively through the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf used to be a type of "spiritualized Darwinism" that bills for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa became out to be a construction of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, surprising, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area deals a short schooling at the worst principles in human history--and how we will be able to steer clear of them within the future.
Read Online or Download 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Similar books & reading books
Drawing on advancements in cognitive technology, Bracher formulates pedagogical concepts for instructing literature in ways in which enhance scholars' cognitive functions for cosmopolitanism, the pursuit of worldwide equality and justice. a number of staple school room texts, resembling issues crumble, offer special examples for educating practices.
Whilst Gandhi as a tender legal professional in South Africa started fashioning the tenets of his political philosophy, he was once absorbed via a likely unrelated firm: making a newspaper, Indian Opinion. In Gandhi’s Printing Press Isabel Hofmeyr presents an account of the way this footnote to a occupation formed the guy who might turn into the world-changing Mahatma.
Alexander Pope’s heroi-comical, mock-epic poem, The Rape of the Lock, maintains to glitter after 300 years as a peerless gem within the canon of English literature. In social gathering of its tercentenary, this assortment brings jointly ten eminent students with new views at the poem. Their methods mirror the titanic diversity of interpretation of Pope’s textual content, from discussions of faith, gender, and eighteenth-century organic technological know-how to an interview with Sophie Gee approximately her novelization of the poem within the Scandal of the Season.
Alastair Fowler provides a desirable research of title-pages revealed in England from the early glossy interval to the 19th century. He examines pictorial title-pages within the context of the background of the booklet for the firsttime. the 1st a part of The brain of the e-book explores the forerunner of the frontispiece in past due antiquity; using frames and borders in title-pages; graphics; printers' units; emblematic title-pages of the 16th and 17th centuries, specially getting to explanatory verses and arcane gains akin to chronograms; title-pages as 'memory prompts'; and eighteenth and nineteenth-century title-pages, tracing 'the rejection of emblematic and symbolic positive aspects and theintroduction of unadorned, unpictorial, title-pages'.
- Das Buch als Werbemittel: Eine Analyse am Beispiel der McDonald's-Kooperation (Initialen) (German Edition)
- Buchwissenschaft als Medienwissenschaft – Die Inhaltsanalyse als mögliche Methode der Buchwissenschaft (German Edition)
- Marginalia: Readers Writing in Books
- Mandeville's Travails: Merging Travel, Theory, and Commentary
- The Transhuman Antihero: Paradoxical Protagonists of Speculative Fiction from Mary Shelley to Richard Morgan
Additional resources for 10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help
10 Books that Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help by Benjamin Wiker